Old Games and New PC's Don't Mix! Can we slow 'em?

birdy31_82 20:52 22 Nov 2003

Hi, I am having problems with some of the older games for my PC. My machine is rather high spec now, and when I run older games (UFO: Enemy Unknown, Theme Park etc.) they are unplayable because they are running far too fast.

I tried putting their in-game speed setting to minimum but they were still unplayable? Is there a patch for the games above to slow them down or is there a program I can download that will help.

Somebody told me to open loads of applications to slow the machine itself down, I tried running upto 30 different programs but to no avail!!

Cheers ppl.

starman316 20:57 22 Nov 2003

I have a flight sim for windows 95 It played fine on my old AMD K6 500MHZ

now I have a P4 1.7GHZ it wont play in fullscreen

Definately agree old games new pcs dont mix

powerless 20:57 22 Nov 2003

click here - I have NOT used it.

..Be careful.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:01 22 Nov 2003

Dont know of patches btu i can tell you how xcom finishes if you like,lol and yep it does go like a bat out of hell specialy the walking bit i think it a dos based game so maybe if you tweak a dos window you may get it to run ok.

Regards.

birdy31_82 21:07 22 Nov 2003

ÑÌÇKÑÂMË, it is ok, i have completed it about 5 times, I just found it again it is one of those games you just have to play again. I found the globe screen most annoying, by the time i hit intercept, the ufo is gone!! haha

Cheers powerless, I will give it a go and let you know, if it doesn't work properly I will have to back date the machine...

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:10 22 Nov 2003

LOL,and then when u do get the bliters they kill your plane :-(.Well i can tell you the updated version UFO afrermath will run ok lol but it dam hard.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie