Old DOS programme

The Bard 11:08 29 Mar 2010

I have Windows 7 Home 64 bit. I have an old DOS based programme which would run in XP. Is there any way I can persuade it to run now, for example using an external drive? It has valuable data which I forgot to print out!

bremner 11:58 29 Mar 2010

If you right click on the executable and select Properites > Compatability.

You can then run the application in compatability mode and select which O/S version.

The Bard 12:06 29 Mar 2010

Have tried, but doesn't work.

PalaeoBill 12:38 29 Mar 2010

It would probably be easier to as a friend who has an XP machine or visit a library and use one of their.
But.. If you have the time, you could burn yourself a boot CD. It won't give you access to the Windows 7 partition on your hard drive but it will let you get to a different partition or to USB devices.

click here

Something a simple as Windows98 SE will give you USB support if you don't want the complication of XP. So you could boot from the CD you make, get access to your external hard drive and run your program from there under 98.
Or, if you don't want to burn a CD you could make a bootable partition on your external hard drive and boot directly from that.

The Bard 12:47 29 Mar 2010

Looks forbidding, but will try!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 29 Mar 2010

USe DOSbox to run any dos program in windows

click here

PalaeoBill 15:46 29 Mar 2010

Nice find "Fruit Bat /\0/\".
Noted for future use.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 29 Mar 2010

Defend reloaded puts a font end on DOSbox and makes it easier to use. click here

Been play.ng all the original DOS games like Duke Nukem and Doom with this setup.

The Bard 16:01 29 Mar 2010

I have 64 bit!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017