old computer help

blueboy2uk 12:08 22 Jun 2007

hello there i have at work a 5-6 year old computer it has hardly been used, i would like to upgrade it a bit ( not to todays standards)
the motherboard is a ECS KS5A 1.0 and the present
cpu is a amd athlon 1.15 gigaherts, its got a 80gig harddrive i would like to run a few design programs on it ie: coreldraw9, and illustrator 10
so it does not need to be cutting edge and also it has 2 momory sticks installed and total 384,
and a recient DVD re write, its running windows2000 pro OS, so i would think for not too much wonga it would be poss to speed things up nicely, i cannot find much out about the motherboard online, what i need to know what socket is the said amd processor and what type of memory would it be running and what would be the highest amount could i be able to upgrade the cpu and memory to, and lastly would it be worth it?

kind regards
blueboy

jack 12:12 22 Jun 2007

Memory is probably the only upping that is needed assuming all else function

Go to click here and down load thier programe to sort which memory you need, and go for the maximum for the maximum for that motherboard.

Starfox 12:20 22 Jun 2007

Are you sure that code is correct, could it be a ECS K7S5A 1.0.

blueboy2uk 14:40 22 Jun 2007

i am more or less certain its ECS ks5a 1.0 or maybe ECS k55A 1.0

woodchip 14:54 22 Jun 2007

Doubt you will get a bigger CPU for it, You may pick one up on Ebay. Your best bet would be a Motherboard and CPU upgrade. However you need to know if it as support drivers for Win2000 This may serve your purpose click here You would also need a new stick of memory as yours will most likely be SD and this board will be DDR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?