old 2nd hard drive in new computor

Chris476 18:46 24 Sep 2006

Can anyone help i need to get some information off my old hard drive. Can i just put it in my new computor if i can work out what wires go where, tranfer the info then remove the old drive.
I don't surpose it is that easy.
Go on make my day.

Diodorus Siculus 18:50 24 Sep 2006

Yes, it is that easy assuming it is not too old... anything from the last 10 years or so should be ok!

On the end there are "jumpers" and a diagram showing positions - you need slave position and then add it into the machine - two cables will be necessary: a power one and the IDE cable.

Do you know the spec of the new machine?

Diodorus Siculus 18:53 24 Sep 2006

Install Hard Drive - A guide to installing a hard drive (IDE)
click here

Chris476 18:59 24 Sep 2006

Thanks for the info my old drive is only 4 years old when i have completed it can i just access that drive and get all the info back sort of drag and drop on to a external drive.

Thanks again

rawprawn 19:31 24 Sep 2006

You can drag and drop all files, but not applications (Programs)

DieSse 23:16 24 Sep 2006

I always recommend disconnecting the optical drive cable, and putting the old drive onto that cable.
Advantages in doing this are -

- you don't need to alter any jumpers on the old drive

- you don't need to disconnect the new drive cables at all

- it works when the new hard drive is SATA (which more and more are nowadays.)

Be sure to remove mains power from the system before moving any cables about - switching off from the front panel is not sufficient to prevent component damage.

Strawballs 23:23 24 Sep 2006

If you don't want your old machine when you have moved anything you want why not just right click on it in my computer and formatt it and leave it as extra storeage?

bellababy 05:11 25 Sep 2006

I can't follow this one could you elaborate please.

Storik 09:58 25 Sep 2006

Basically what Strawballs is saying is once you have managed to copy everything you need from your old hard drive - you can format it and use it to store files in the future. :-)

You would, of course, have to put your old drive on you machine as "Primary Slave", the new one being "Primary Master". Just change the jumper settings on your old drive and chain it via the drive cable.

For simplicity in just copying what you need from your old hard drive, DieSse's instructions are bang on - I think so, anyway. :-)

Storic

bellababy 11:12 25 Sep 2006

Thanks the penny dropped.

Chris476 07:06 26 Sep 2006

Thanks for all the advice i will give it ago when i get a few hours spare,

Thanks Again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone