OKI 810 network printing

Marko797 16:55 30 Apr 2010

I have a new OKI 810cdn laser, which is great.
It's connected to my router via (blue) network ethernet cable. The router (Thomson 585 v6) is connected to my desktop (XP)via separate ethernet cable.

However, I want to be able to print from the OKI, from my 2 laptops, without the need for the desktop to be switched on - hence the reason for getting a network capable printer in the first place.

Both laptops are connected wirelessly to the network and can access each other and the internet, so no problem with the HOME network.

I cannot work out why I cannot print from the printer, via the laptops, when the desktop is switched off.

When it (desktop) is switched on, they are able to print fine, so the connection is definitely there.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is, and how I can do what I want to do as far as network printing is concerned?

Thanks for any help, as this is driving me mad.

mgmcc 19:41 30 Apr 2010

I suspect what you've done is to set up the printer in your desktop PC and "shared" it on the network. You have then set up a "network printer" in the two Laptops, but what you've installed is the "shared" printer in the PC instead of the printer in its own right. Therefore, you can only print when the PC is running.

Marko797 20:37 30 Apr 2010

Thanks, I'll check what I might have done, but what do I do now? Unshare the printer, if it is shared?
Sorry, novice on all of this.

Marko797 20:45 30 Apr 2010

can you explain what this means, and then advise where this should be installed, and on what machine? I'm guessing it still has to be the desktop?

Marko797 21:12 30 Apr 2010

no worries, I've sorted it. I HAD shared the printer whilst going thru the set-up screens. Changed it in desktop not to share, then did the same on my laptop. Now 'network' printing as was intended. Thnx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?