okay PC Forum Brainboxes -PLEASE BEAR WITH ME

TheHacienda 22:18 07 Oct 2009

Right here goes

september 2008 start service with Virgin

wireless router 20mg etc

October 2008 old computer dies a death

December - get new shiny computer (mmmm lovely) everything is hunky dory

May 2009 i'm using AVG free which has been working perfect up until this point, i go to upgrade it and the upgrades fail - okay - so i remove it and reload it - same thing???

next i go to upgrade windows and i'm getting an error message error 8.00 something - can't remember but in a nutshell - ANYTHING i try to update doesn't work
THE WIRELESS INTERNET WORKS BUT NOTHING WILL DOWNLOAD AND SAVE I.E WINDOWS UPDATE.
phone Virgin- 3 weeks of foreign callcentres (they try their hardest)
reload windows 3 times because of their advice and still the same - NOTHING WILL UPDATE!

my new computer is on vista (*which i'm told is the problem) but my daughter has a laptop which runs on XP wirelessly - i try to update windows etc - have a guess - the same thing!!!
i unplug my router and link my PC direct via ethernet to the modem - you'll never guess no problems at all
i call virgin - they send a new router out - you'll never guess - THE SAME PROBLEM
i have no idea whats happened - all of a sudden the router stopped working
it may be someething to do with the built in firewall (disabled that - still the same thing)
2/3/4 months go by and i'm paying still for wireless broadband that doesn't work
spoke to them last week and upgrading to 50mg wireless

BASICALLY i thought this would solve the problem, but through the post they have sent me the same wireless router (thought it might be a different one i.e might work)
they are here on friday to fit it
Does anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong / what should i ask the engineer to do???????
clearly i'm no expert but i cannot figure out why all of a sudden the wireless router stopped allowing me to download and insall any software.
The broadband tech guys at virgin have told me to seek out a pc expert but i SWEAR it was working fine and all of a sudden Nothing!!!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP - i have a teenage son whose losing his X-Box live and a daughter who can't use her laptop wirelessly because of these 'con artists'

Strawballs 22:22 07 Oct 2009

This a strange one the only thing I would say is on Fri don't let the guy go untill you have explained everything seen it downloading succesfully.

TheHacienda 22:27 07 Oct 2009

cheers mate

I'm noe expert but i'm not stupid either

seriously all of a sudden wireless in my house WILL NOT allow anything to be updated or downloaded??????????

Forum Editor 23:19 07 Oct 2009

in different forum areas. I'm going to lock this one now, so all responses go to the other thread: - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?