Is this OK for uninstalling 'unremovable' program?

Pineman100 10:44 21 Jan 2009

I think I read in another thread, recently, a suggestion for getting rid of a program that doesn't appear in the 'Add/Remove Programs' list.

The suggestion (if I remember it correctly), was to delete the progam's folder from C:\Program Files, and then to run CCleaner's registry cleanup tool to get rid of the leftover registry entires.

I'm trying to think up ways to get rid of the phoney antispyware program, Spyware Guard 2009, from a friend's computer (to read my earlier thread on this click here). It has so far resisted all attempts to nuke it.

Do you think the above method would be OK, or would I cause all kinds of problems? And do you have any better suggestions?

I'll be very grateful for any advice.

tullie 10:49 21 Jan 2009

Try Revo Uninstaller.

Technotiger 10:51 21 Jan 2009

Hi, I think it would be ok to do as you said above, plus, you could try click here you probably already know this - but when using Revo, at the point where you are asked if you want to re-start your PC, DO NOT restart. Let Revo continue, when it gets to the Option to Select All and to Delete, DO SO. After clicking on Finish re-start the PC.

ashdav 10:52 21 Jan 2009

Deleting the program folder then running Ccleaner only works for "proper" programs.
These phoney spyware programs are far more pernicious and have backups and dlls spread all over the computer including system restore.
I've tried removing them for other people including following advice from the Hijack This people and although it may appear clean initially within a couple of days it will reappear.
My personal advice is to back up personal foldewrs and do a reinstall.

Pineman100 12:46 21 Jan 2009

I've actually set up Revo Uninstaller on a USB stick, and I'm going over to my friend's tomorrow to try removal with that.

As my other thread explained, the biggest problem at the moment is that this malware won't allow anything that might remove it to run. We've tried:-

Ordinary uninstall - it disappeared from Add/Remove Programs, but still runs

Malwarebytes Anti-malware - can't get it to install

System Restore - won't run a restore

That's why I'm hoping that by running Revo from a USB stick we might be able to creeep up on it.

tullie and Techno tiger - thanks for the Revo advice. And Technotiger for the additional tip (which I didn't know).

ashdav - I hope you're wrong, but I fear you could be right. Last resort though!

ashdav 13:41 21 Jan 2009

So do I but speaking from experience it doesn't look good.
If you do manage to clean up the computer let us know.

ronalddonald 16:06 21 Jan 2009

is very good and should help to unistall it and can also clean the registry. Just at the top of this discusion forum you will see the words searh forum and go button just type in revo uninstaller and you should be able to find it.

tullie 16:11 21 Jan 2009

Better still,use Google.And he has allready downloaded it.

Pineman100 16:59 21 Jan 2009

ronaldonald - thanks, I'll do that.

tullie - I'm sorry, I don't understand. Use Google... to remove the spyware? I'm sure you don't mean that, but I don't quite follow.

Pineman100 19:11 22 Jan 2009

Thanks a million to all of you who recommended Revo Uninstaller. It successfully zapped Spyware Guard 2009 (when run from a USB stick).

However, that's not the whole story. Please would read my update post on the thread below, and let me know if you have any further suggestions for me?

Many thanks again.

click here

Technotiger 19:43 22 Jan 2009

Have you tried SuperAntiSpyware, it does seem to get rid of sticky nasties quite well.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017