Oh so slow

nazarene 23:06 14 Jun 2009

Hi to all, I am having probs with my pc going so slow. I nearly have time to make coffee waiting for a window to open. Here is the basics I have found out; Dell 2002, NTFS, 74.5 GB h/d, 26.2 GB h/d used. 2 x sticks of 256 ram, intel celeron cpu @ 2.40 GHz, external 256 modem, connected to Australian ADSL. ISP says everything is fine from their end. H/D was replaced about 4 years ago. Modem is 2 years old. Could it be possible that the mother board/cpu needs upgrading? How do I determine this and how do I find out exactly what I need? We have no viruses, do regular disk cleanup and defrag, clear temporary files and cookies. This pc makes snails look like race horses. Need your help. Thanks in advance.

Strawballs 23:33 14 Jun 2009

You say it has no viruses but have you scanned with something like adaware or spybot search and destroy for spyware?

nazarene 01:16 15 Jun 2009

Hi Strawballs, thanks. I ran spybot - 1 item - dealt with. Adaware - 3 items - dealt with. PC is still the same however. I thought maybe I need an updated mother board or cpu? Don't know what else to do. Thanks

MrNewName 05:42 15 Jun 2009

I think that the quickest solution might be to back up your data and do a reinstall of the operating system if you can.

Another 512MB RAM would also help a lot.

Upgrading / replacing the motherboard/cpu could be expensive / complex and unlikely to be the underlying cause.

You can also reduce the number of programs running at start-up - how you do this will depend on your operating system.

birdface 07:44 15 Jun 2009

I would check what space you have left on your hard drive also what memory you have left.512 Mb is on the low side.I am afraid Spybot is rather poor nowadays and the likes of Malwarebytes free is always worth trying.
In device manager make sure IDE - Atapi controllers are set to DMA and not PIO.

birdface 07:47 15 Jun 2009

If using XP you can try this.

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok. it should tell you DNS has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.

birdface 07:54 15 Jun 2009

Or maybe try this to see if you need any driver updates.Its free.

click here

T I M B O 14:18 15 Jun 2009

Malwarebytes >> click here

Ccleaner >> click here

Both of these are free and will serve you well. Be sure to do a full scan with malwarebytes and without internet connection.

Best of luck !

Diemmess 15:06 15 Jun 2009

Last week I had a couple of days with IE "treakle feet"
Fortunately I used a recent Acronis backup and the problem has not returned.

The cause is guesswork, but I had fed in a fistful of Windows updates and then Java and Adobe clamoured for updating as well.

Perhaps I rushed the installations..I don't know,
but rather than upgrade your hardware or even replace it, stay with the software approach for the moment.
Too little free Hard Disk space (as buteman) can be a cause but you can soon check what is still available. Less easy to check for conflicting programs or those where the path to a file is ambiguos.

!!Very much the last resort:!!
Provided you have a backup of all data, then a clean re-install of your drive C: is a drastic but sure way of getting rid of dragging treakle feet.

From memory I think 2K used to take about half an hour to install, and at least 2 days more to reinstall and tweak everything else to how it was.

ronalddonald 08:21 04 Jul 2009

why not get linux mint and give that a try and c your pc take off like concorde

wee eddie 16:33 04 Jul 2009

How long is it since you cleared:- the Recycle Bin, The Internet Temporary Files and the Cookies.

Have you Defragged lately.

All that can be done from within Windows, although its stuff is not the fastest, it does the job fairly well.

If Startup is very slow type "msconfig" in the "Run" Box and reduce the number of programs opening at Start-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?