Oh no! Need help - now the printer is missing!

Stressed Mum 18:55 09 Nov 2009

I truely can't believe this. Back on my desktop Dell Dimension 5150. Windows XP SP3. I have had no end of problems - first with AVG - got that sorted so I thought - then downloaded Office 2007 replacing 2003. Sorted all sorts of problems out with settings etc - and now - just gone to print something and cannot find a printer. In control panel there isn't one - nor is there any network connections!! (Can get access though) I also tried to restore a few days back - but all restore points disappeared after installing 2007. what am I to do?

Quiller. 19:16 09 Nov 2009

If it is not showing in control panel > printers and faxes. Reinstall the printer software.

Stressed Mum 19:29 09 Nov 2009

ok - I'll have to search for it - also what about other things that have mysteriously vanished - the local networks and internet icons etc - where have they gone?

Stressed Mum 19:30 09 Nov 2009

scanner gone too - this must be a setting tht I have changed surely?

Quiller. 19:34 09 Nov 2009

Is it a MFD i.e. printer/scanner/copier?

If so, make and model number.

Stressed Mum 19:44 09 Nov 2009

Not sure what MFD is - but I have just been into services and enable/restarted printer poll and Network connections and they have reappeared. Can't find the scanner yet..

Stressed Mum 19:44 09 Nov 2009

Not sure what MFD is - but I have just been into services and enable/restarted printer poll and Network connections and they have reappeared. Can't find the scanner yet..

Quiller. 19:47 09 Nov 2009

Multi Functional Device =

printer, scanner and copier all in one.

Stressed Mum 19:51 09 Nov 2009

Feeling really bothered by all this. the PC is extremely slow again - even though I have gone back to AVG 8.5. Will running a scannow help?

Stressed Mum 20:15 09 Nov 2009

I am getting somewhere - but can't restart the webcam or scanner as I can't identify them in services. Does anyone know hat's what in there? I have lots listed as disabled and manual and automatic.

compumac 20:23 09 Nov 2009

Your problem seems to stem from when you downloaded Office 2007. Where did you download Office 2007 from? Is it a suspect site?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?