Oh dear my laptop is really messed up!

Deniset 07:45 28 Jul 2009

I had installed AVG for free on my Packard Bell. Running Windows XP Home.
(My ISP is AOL - which I dont use for emails!)
AVG had an exclamation mark on the tray, so tried to uninstall it and reinstall. I ran System Restore several times and nothing changed.
I ran Crap Cleaner and think I must have "fiddled" with something, as now System Restore says cannot restore and also when I try to run my email account it does not go to the site. In fact when I type in anything on the start - run - nothing happens!
Help please

sunnystaines 08:35 28 Jul 2009

do you have a packard bell back up disc or partition to recover.

wee eddie 09:17 28 Jul 2009

has pre-installed another AntiVirus.

First job should be to Copy, to another Storage Device, all your precious files, but not Windows.

I am not a Fan of Restoration but this sounds a likely candidate as "sunnystaines" suggests. Remember that it will delete all your files on the disk.

Deniset 10:12 28 Jul 2009

No back up disc that I am aware of. Just got C drive with no back up partition

LinH 11:01 28 Jul 2009

When you bought the lappy did you not get a collection of various software disks? If so, one of them could be a recovery disk. If not, you probably have a hidden recovery partition which can be accessed via a menu or maybe a control panel option. Not sure how Packard Bell organise their recovery options but it will be something like the above.

IMPORTANT: As wee eddie says, recovery will delete all your present files so try and backup anything you need to a flash drive or similar before starting the process

LinH.

wee eddie 11:10 28 Jul 2009

I think that AOL comes with a Trial version of McAfee installed. You will need to remove any previously installed AntiVirus before you install your own choice.

2 AVs on a Computer are a recipe for problems.

Deniset 11:25 28 Jul 2009

So if I save everything to storage disk, what do i do next?

LinH 11:48 28 Jul 2009

If you have a recovery disk put it in the cd/dvd drive and when it starts simply follow the options for a full system recovery.

Using the recovery partition should be the same once you have found out how to access it i.e. menu option, control panel etc.

LinH

LinH 12:12 28 Jul 2009

Just been on the web and one Packard Bell forum suggests you can access the recovery partition by tapping F11 whilst starting the computer.

Could be worth a try.

LinH

Deniset 14:12 28 Jul 2009

Thanks LinH. If I back up my files and then tap F11, what do I do next??

I,m afraid you will have to spell it out step for step for me - this is new territory for me and I am a bit anxious about it

wee eddie 14:33 28 Jul 2009

Now would be a good time to get an External Hard Drive, unless you have almost nothing stored on your Hard Drive. CDs hold almost nothing. Many come with a "lite" version of some Back-up Software.

Allow yourself "several hours", say a Sunday morning and no Lunch Date in-case things over-run.

You will then have to get a cup of tea and follow the instructions as every Company uses a slightly different format. If you have another PC attached to the net, someone here might be able to answer your questions as you go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?