Office XP and Word defaults

Diemmess 16:24 08 Nov 2007

Time was when (Office 97) had an accessible Normal template.
If I selected A4, a standard font, suitable margins and saved it as Normal.dot, then every time I opened Word the "starter" doc would have these characteristics.

I can still make and save a Normal template along with any others I want in a folder I named templates, but on starting Word it defaults to Letter size paper etc.
A minor niggle I know, but is there a way around this?

VoG II 17:18 08 Nov 2007

It is possible that you have more than one normal.dot and Word is accessing the 'wrong one'.

Try saving your custom one in c:\documents and settings\your name\application data\microsoft\templates

interzone55 17:20 08 Nov 2007

To avoid the letter size paper change your locale & language settings to UK and your paper size will default to A4. This worked for me anyway

Diemmess 18:57 08 Nov 2007

Language settings etc were all UK English

VoG™ - you were correct.
I did by choice have templates as a subfolder of Docs on a different drive used for all data which can be kept off the OS drive to make it smaller for backup purposes.

Eventually I saved MY version of normal.dot to desktop and dragged it into the original folder overwriting the Normal.dot there.

No difference, so I went into Word Tools and redirected the Templates folder to the path of the original one.
Success!

Now I only have Blank Page in the templates folder, but it should be a simple matter to copy my custom jobs into the same one...... and that must wait, I have domestic duties!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?