Office XP and Office 2000

beec crump 22:26 03 Aug 2003

Presently I own Office 2K and am planning to u/grade to Xp. However I cannot afford the most expensive versions and cannot therefore afford Publisher.

I have certain files that I use Publisher to create/edit (including some websites) which I really do not want to have to re-build.

Is it possible to use, for ex., Word, Excel, P-point XP whilst still using Pub 2K? Or do I have to run both versions of everything at the same time?

Help appreciated,
Ben

VoG II 22:29 03 Aug 2003

If you install Office XP it will overwrite Office 2000 by default. However it should leave Publisher alone. If you are worried click on the "custom" button when prompted and you can then control precisely what happens.

Bramblerose 23:28 03 Aug 2003

I wouldn't install Outlook XP either - it blocks a lot of files extensions from being downloaded - unless its changed - it has an A list and a B list - the A list of file extensions you can;t change and the B list of file extensions you can - included in the list of extension in the A list are .exe files which can be a bit of a pain - If I wanted an exe file emailed to me I expect to be able to recieve it and Outlook XP wouldn't let me do that.

The only real difference I noticed was Powerpoint, Access isn't backwards compatible and as far as I could see, there were no major differences with Word and Excel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?