Office XP install problem

Legolas 17:11 30 May 2003

I am trying to install office XP from disk after a few seconds I get the following error message 'cant find file OWC10.DLL from c:/programs/common files/web components' I have downloaded this dll from the internet and put it in the right folder put it still does not find it any suggestions?

Lú-tzé 17:21 30 May 2003

Have you rebooted after putting in the file into the folder - it will need to be registered by windows.

Sorry for such a simple thought. I have a simple mind!

Legolas 17:29 30 May 2003

Good thinking Lú-tzé, the simple things are often the things you overlook I will try it and see.

AndySD 17:36 30 May 2003

Have you tried double clicking on the dll to register it.

Legolas 18:14 30 May 2003

Thanks for the suggestions still no joy.

AndySD 18:54 30 May 2003

Try Start then Run type in

regsvr32 OWC10.DLL

and hit ok

If not try extracting it from the office1.cab on the cd

Also check its in the right folder acording to click here its path is \files\pfiles\common\msshared\webcomps\10

Legolas 19:09 30 May 2003

I think the disk must be damaged in some way, now everytime I try to open the disk it freezes the computer and I have to reboot :(

Granger 20:45 30 May 2003

Try phoning MS on 0800 700 2000, they've helped me with problems before.

Is this an upgrade? That might be the trouble. If so, uninstall all traces of the previous version. When Office XP asks for the "qualifying product", put the CD in. If you don't have the original disc email me - Microsoft (on the number above) once gave me an amazing piece of advice about what to do next, and it worked!

Granger 20:47 30 May 2003

When I say original disc, I mean the disc for the previous version. I'm not promoting piracy.

Legolas 21:18 30 May 2003

Thanks Granger I will try phoning tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?