Office license

Rhuddlan 21:47 25 Aug 2010

Evening all!
When I open up work, excel etc I get a message asking to enter the product key, have no idea where this is, this message has only just appeared tonight, I was not aware that I had trail version or whatever this message means. I was under the impression that I had unlimited use of these applications, have done before on previous PC's. This is a Compaq laptop, bought it about 4 months ago.

Woolwell 21:54 25 Aug 2010

Did you install MS Office or was it on the Compaq when you got it. If the latter it was probably a trial version and you need to now register and pay.

Rhuddlan 22:05 25 Aug 2010

I was on the laptop when I bought it, it only says about entering the product key though? I take it I won't have one if I don't have any office documents? How can I convert excel files now? I have excel and word work documents on this laptop that I need to access.

Thanks for the help.

Woolwell 22:17 25 Aug 2010

If you are student or in education there are several ways to get MS Office or there is Home and Student version which is reasonably cheap compared to the other versions. You can register the product and pay MS.
Alternatively you can try Open Offie for free which will open most excel and word files.

Woolwell 22:21 25 Aug 2010

Trial version is valid for 60 days. You normally get prompts to pay, etc.

Strawballs 22:37 25 Aug 2010

The latest version of Open Office is compatable with MS Office

click here go for the 3.2.1

Strawballs 22:38 25 Aug 2010

I know this is a long shot but you don't work for BAE Systems do you?

C3 17:11 26 Aug 2010

Unfortunately pretty much all off-the-shelf laptops come with a trial version of Office only, either the Full install (for Office Pro, Office Small Business, Office Basic) or with Office Home & Student.
This is based on the Office 2007 suites, I haven't looked at any 2010 installations yet!

If you just use Word and Excel, then the Home & Student version will be fine for you. If you need Outlook though, you'll have to go for one of the business packages which are quite a bit more expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?