Office Home Student

  Noggerules 14:50 30 Jan 2009

Purchased two computers, one at home and one in Church office (registered charity) On both machines are Office Home and Student 2007. I have established I can continue to use on home computer after purchasing key (after 60 day trial) Can I do the same on the church computer where occasionally it is used to prepare teaching material for children of school age and adults, although not for formal qualifications

  Taff™ 14:59 30 Jan 2009

Without checking the licensing agreement I would say almost certainly yes. However why not save yourself some money and use OpenOffice which is totally free and can be made compatible with MS Office .doc`s & .xls for Word, Excel etc. click here

It also has it`s own Presentation Program similar to PowerPoint plus a database program which may be of use. Check it out. I know several businesses that rely on it.

  Fingees 15:01 30 Jan 2009

Yes, it should be covered OK, as some do get fitted on two or more computers and activated with no problem. provided of course there is a legitamate reason, as in your case

  brambles 15:38 30 Jan 2009

Office Home & Student comes with a licence that allows it to be installed on THREE computers


  Noggerules 16:03 30 Jan 2009

Thanks for all your replies.
Taff the Macros in Excel will not work in Open Office.
Brambles three computers are for one household I believe and not two seperate buildings but I stand corrected on both.

  interzone55 16:08 30 Jan 2009

The full retail Home & Student licence can be used on three PCs used in the same household. This means you can install it on your home PC, your home laptop and maybe you's children's PC.

The OEM licence included with PCs is only licensed for the PC it's installed on.

It's not to be used in commercial organisations under any circumstances, and that includes a business laptop used at home, or someone who runs a business from home, although they can use it on home PCs, but not a PC used for business purposes.

As far as use on a PC used in a Church, I can't find anything that expressly forbids this - the clearest message on the MS Home & Student page is
"Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households." If you wanted to be very pedantic you could say that a church is the house of God.

If you are in any way worried about breaking the licence terms you could either install OpenOffice, which as Taff says is free, or you could purchase a OEM copy of the Standard edition for a couple of hundred quid...

  PO79 16:08 30 Jan 2009

Three licenses are in any configuration, i.e. one PC at university, one at home for course work and a laptop to travel between the two.

  Noggerules 16:17 30 Jan 2009

Is an OEM copy not for general use but intended for those who build computers and who have to look after the end user?

  interzone55 16:43 30 Jan 2009

OEM licences are designed for system builders, OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

OEM licences are cheaper because they don't include media, manuals, or support.

In the case of the MS Office Home & Student licence it also ties it to a single computer, although this is a moot point anyway, as you don't have the software CD to install it on another computer.

  Noggerules 16:53 30 Jan 2009

Confused now!
If as you say if I purchased a OEM copy of standard for a couple of hundred quid would I not get a disc with the programme on as you see many advertised with pictures of disk, but not sure they are legal.

  wjrt 17:30 30 Jan 2009

click here

you could also search for "microsoft ultimate steal"
but it seems more for full time atudents/academics

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?