Office compatibility patch

Border View 12:33 17 Apr 2010

I use Windows XP Home SP3. Also have Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Some time ago I downloaded a patch which meant I could read documents prepared in Office 2007.

For some reason, I know not what, when I received a docx document yesterday as an attachment to an e-mail I could not open it.

Went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the Office compatibility patch. When I tried to install the patch it would not. Windows Installer gave the message "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows install patch package."

It was listed in my programs. To try to remedy I thought I would do a system restore to before I downloaded - this appeared to go OK but for some reason my Avast anti-virus started to act up. Ended up with the message from Windows "Exception Processing Message C000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c - No disc.

Trying not to panic I managed to attempt a further system restore to an earlier time still. This was unsuccessful.

Had to uninstall Avast and redownload and install. Everything now seems OK, thank goodness.

However, I still cannot open the word docx attachment which came yesterday.

Would welcome your comments and advice please.

Border View 13:53 17 Apr 2010

Will try that, thanks.

Border View 13:58 17 Apr 2010

Saved to hard drive, thought it was going to work when Word started to open, but then got the message "Error when opening file". So it didn't open.

Clapton is God 15:23 17 Apr 2010

You may be missing updates to the Compatibility Pack.

Check in Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs for the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system.

It should also have 4 security updates, Service Pack 2 and a further update (KB981715) released as recently as this week's Patch Tuesday.

wiz-king 15:56 17 Apr 2010

Since the last but one MS udate I have had a similar thing, Word trys to open but then a message pops up telling me that the compatability pack has problems but leave it for about 30 seconds and the docx opens in 2003 anyway.

Taff™ 02:08 18 Apr 2010

Me Too - MS will undoubtedly issue another "patch to repair a patch" !!!

Border View 11:38 18 Apr 2010

Good morning, sorry I've just got back to you.

Clapton - I downloaded the Compatibility pack yesterday morning, having checked with Microsoft that I had all updates. I ended up uninstalling it from add/remove programs because it would not install correctly.

Marg7 thanks for the link - I have tried to download Open Office this morning without success. Think this might be down to using 3 mobile broadband dongle and speeds are quite slow. Can't connect to the actual download. I can get into the site OK but nothing happens when I click on download. Not my day.

Thanks

Border View 13:06 18 Apr 2010

Hi - think I shall wait until I return home on Tuesday then download on my landline broadband.

Shall use the filehippo link then.

Thank you all for responding.

Border View 11:37 21 Apr 2010

Just to let you know success at last.

I downloaded Open Office which installed without a hitch. Then returned to the e-mail (yahoo) clicked on on the attachment and it gave the choice to open either with Microsoft Office or Open Office. Used Open Office and there was this one sheet docx.

Thank you all for your help.

For info.Don't know what has happened to my computer recently but I had to uninstall Java runtime environment, download and reinstall this morning. It just wasn't working as it should. It probably went the way of the office compatibility patch which I know I downloaded about a year ago quite successfully.

Don't you just love computers.

KremmenUK 13:46 21 Apr 2010

One of the best tools for finding out if your fully patched is the free "Secunia PSI"

I've recommended this to many people who all agree it's superb.

Some time ago Secunia advised that a Microsoft compatibility patch was out of date even though Microsoft's patch routine failed to spot or update it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?