Office 97 OEM

Ray-191804 16:37 14 Sep 2004

Recently lost my hard drive on my 4 year old PC which runs windows 98SE.
I replaced the drive and reinstalled windows but it will not let me install office.
I believe there is a file which can be inserted into windows to over come this problem.
Can you provide the file and let me have instructions to install it please.

Djohn 16:40 14 Sep 2004

What error code do you see on attempting to install office please?

Ray-191804 16:45 14 Sep 2004

Djohn,
The response from the computer tells me to go back to my purchaser as they can install the programme.

Unfortunately they went bust years ago.Ravies

Diodorus Siculus 16:55 14 Sep 2004

It could be a version that is locked to the hardware and something on the hard disk; it may be too late for you now to install that version of Word.

An alternative would be OpenOffice.org - a big download if you are on dialup but comes on many cover CDs. If you can't track it down, mail me and I will send it to you.

Ray-191804 17:00 14 Sep 2004

Diodorus Siculus,

Thanks for your offer. I am fairly certain that there is a patch to overcome the problem is was mention a few yars ago in PC Advisor but I no longer have the magazine copy.

Ravies

Ray-191804 17:01 14 Sep 2004

Diodorus Siculus,

Thanks for your offer. I am fairly certain that there is a patch to overcome the problem it was mention a few yars ago in PC Advisor but I no longer have the magazine copy.

Ravies

Ray-191804 17:01 14 Sep 2004

Diodorus Siculus,

Thanks for your offer. I am fairly certain that there is a patch to overcome the problem it was mention a few yars ago in PC Advisor but I no longer have the magazine copy.

Ravies

Diodorus Siculus 17:02 14 Sep 2004

Ravies - ok, I look forward to hearing about it. Good luck with it.

Djohn 17:15 14 Sep 2004

I'm not sure how your PC can give you a message telling you to go back to your supplier? When you insert the CD and start the install of office it will either install or come up with an error code and maybe a short message. If we know what the code is we may be able to help. It may just be a missing .dll file from your O/S that needs replacing.

There is no reason that an OEM version of office shouldn't work after an install of the operating system unless it's as I say above or a fault with the CD itself. If you can post the fault code I'm sure that someone will be able to advise further. j.

Diodorus Siculus 17:23 14 Sep 2004

Djohn - in a friends office there are a number of HP Vectras which came with Office 97 OEM. These versions of office will only install on these particular machines and when one attempts to install the software on another machine, one is directed to the manufacturer of the PC.

I don't know if this is the same as the problem Ravies is experiencing, but it sounds that way.

VoG II 17:24 14 Sep 2004

I'm a bit confused because your other thread click here refers to Windows XP.

If this is XP you may need to be logged in as the Administrator to install Office 97.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?