Office 2010 and Access

birdy11 15:53 10 Sep 2010

I am thinking of buying Office2010 but it does not seem to have the ACCESS database programme. As I use a database for some mailmerge programmes, does anyone know if I will be able to modify and use the Office2000 databases with Office2010. Can you also explain any problems you had and overcame.
Thanks in advance for any information supplied.

VoG II 16:31 10 Sep 2010

The Professional version includes Access click here

skeletal 18:22 10 Sep 2010

Broadly speaking (and I’m trying to think of exceptions and can’t) newer versions of Office will open files from older versions. The trouble starts if you do something in a new version and try to open in an old.

I’ve just fired up Access 2010 and see an option to save in the 2000 version. This would confirm that there is at least some attempt at backwards compatibility (and thus forwards).

It’s been a very long time since I’ve used 2000. I can’t remember any particular problems during my changes between every version going forward.

Backwards is a very different story. The u$ website will warn of new features in Access 2010 that you can’t use if you want to go back to 2007, let alone 2000.

There are some reports that Access 2007 is slower than earlier versions and indeed, newer versions of Office have more bells and whistles so all the parts can be slower. But over time I’ve been buying faster machines so have not really noticed. I can’t say I’ve noticed a speed difference between 2007 and 2010. You may have a problem if you run large complex queries and you have an old machine with little memory.

I also include large amounts of VBA and SQL code in my dbs (actually VBA in all of Office) and again I’ve not had many difficulties. If anything I’ve had more trouble with Word’s VBA incompatibilities.

I think your biggest problem will be that 2010 “feels” very different from 2000. You will spend many hours going “Where is xyz?” Join the club!

Skeletal

birdy11 17:10 27 Sep 2010

Thanks to VoGTM and skeletal for your answers.
I must aplologise for the long delay in replying.
After I posted the problem I had to go and help my daughter move into her new house and get the garden in to some order and I have only just got back home. Thanks for taking the time to provide answers and for waiting so long for a reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?