Office 2007 - Saving settings

Pine Man 18:44 19 Nov 2007

I am about to install a different copy of Office 2007 (don't ask!).

If I remove my existing installation will my settings still be kept in the registry and apply to the new installation? If not what should I save?

I am particularly concerned about Outlook 2007, which has taken me a while to sort out properly and set up the way I like it.

Pine Man 19:27 19 Nov 2007

could I leave the present installation on my PC and just install the new version over it?

johnem 21:44 19 Nov 2007

If you install over the top, you might be given the option to save previous settings, but if you export all of the Outlook settings to a folder, you should then be able to import them into the new version. You might also wish to save the default Word template and then re-introduce this on the new version as this will should save any dictionary special spellings etc. Hope this helps.

Pine Man 08:41 20 Nov 2007

Thanks for that.

I read that you can save your personal folders to a .pst file. Do you, or does anybody, know if this contains all your settings in addition to contacts etc?

Pine Man 13:59 20 Nov 2007

I have now received info to the effect that I cannot install over the top of my existing installation - it must be a clean install. Hopefully .pst will contain all the info I need for Outlook.

Thanks johnem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?