Office 2003 Word problem

Spark6 11:38 17 Sep 2006

In my 'Individual Records' folder for my genealogy research a number of corrupted duplicated records have appeared.

Instead of the individual's name appearing as the record title the first two letters of the christian names are replaced by the alternating current symbol followed by $ symbol and the content of the file is absolute garbage.

Moving the corrupted duplicate file to the recycle bin also moves the true file.

Any thoughts or advice on this greatly appreciated and I shall be back on line this evening.

Taff™ 12:42 17 Sep 2006

These files are temporary files created by the "autosave" feature and you should be able to delete them safely. Have you tried moving just the original files to another folder temporarily and then deleting them?

Alternatively try to delete them in safe mode. It may be that the files are technically "In Use".

Spark6 19:52 17 Sep 2006

The temporary files have now been deleted, the machine has been restarted, and everything appears to be OK. I shall leave the deleted files in the recycle bin for a few days just in case.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

P.S. Does anyone know where the AC symbol is in Word?

Taff™ 21:25 17 Sep 2006

AC Symbol? Are we talking electrical here?

skeletal 21:59 17 Sep 2006

It is called Tilde and looks similar to the AC symbol, particularly in some fonts (eg Verdana).

Not sure if it will reproduce in this forum (some formatting/characters don’t always) but I’ll try. It is ~

Look for it in character map; you will find it near the top of the grid of characters, just under the lower case “j”.

Skeletal

Spark6 09:38 18 Sep 2006

That's the one.

Taff™. Alternating current symbol.

Success!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017