Office 2003: spelling & grammer. problem

ianeon 19:54 03 Jul 2009

Good morning - I use Microsoft Office 2003 - When I "spell-check" a document it does it in English(U.S.) - when I change it to English(U.K.) it reverts back to English(U.S.) the next time I use it. Is there a way of keeping the Spell-Check permanently on English(U.K) - Thank you - Ian

johnnyrocker 19:57 03 Jul 2009

delete english us?

johnny

ianeon 20:06 03 Jul 2009

Johnny - How do I do that ?

lotvic 21:58 03 Jul 2009

Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings

lotvic 23:55 03 Jul 2009

You don't need to delete English (US)
just change the default in the bottom box to English UK.

ianeon 06:14 04 Jul 2009

Lotvic - That's my problem - when I do that it automatically reverts back to English(U.S.) the next time I start my computer.

wiz-king 08:06 04 Jul 2009

I think that any documents you have in Word that have used the US setting will open the next time with that setting. You will have to change it to UK and save the doc for the change to become permanent. The default setting is only for new docs.

lotvic 11:56 04 Jul 2009

wiz-king has said it :) You will have to Select All the text that is in US to change it to UK in the docs you have

check the default for new docs by opening Word so it shows a blank new document and have a look at the bottom bar - about in the middle it should tell you the default language for the normal template (or if you open a Document the default language for the Document)
Double click on the language it shows and a popup language box will open for you to change the normal template.
Choose English (UK) in the top bit and click on 'Default' and a new pop up will ask if you want to change the normal template.

Same popup boxes can be accessed through Tools > Language in the top bar
Remember to click on OK to keep the changes.

ianeon 17:31 04 Jul 2009

Thank you everyone, for the insight to my problem, hopefully it is now solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017