Office 2003 registry problem

[email protected] 11:37 23 Oct 2007

Hello there,

I seem to have inherited a problem with Office 2003 that i cannot find a solution or work around too.

I am trying to install Office 2k3 SP3 and other office updates but they cannot be applied as there are registry keys that cannot be accessed.

When i try to apply SP3 i am greeted with the error:

Cannot access UNKNOWN\.frg\Access.Fragment\ShellNew
Please check you have sufficienet permissions etc

When i try to detect and repair Office i am greeted with the same error

When i try to re-install office or uninstall office, also modify it i am greeted with the same error but on the following key:

HKLM\software\classes\CLSID\{CC2C83A6-9BE4-11D0-98E7-00C04FC2CAF5}\SingleChangeHook

When i navigate to these keys manually i get an access is denied error message.

I have tried system restore, my earliest avail date is Oct 4th and this does not resolve the problem.

I have tried all of the above using various accounts: local admin, domain admin, domain user (who is member of local admins), and a local user.
All to no avail, same outcome with all users.

So i cannot update Office, cannot uninstall it, cannot re-install it, cannot run detect and repair on it.

Running Vista Buisiness, fully patched up to date. (apart from Office)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can further proceed with this issue?

Thanks

rawprawn 14:36 23 Oct 2007

Try turning User Account Control Off.(Control Panel>User Accounts)

[email protected] 17:06 23 Oct 2007

its already off rawprawn, was the very first thing i did when i installed Vista.

This is my first major problem with Vista in just under a year so i cant grumble too much.

Just absolutly gazumped on what possibly i can try next.

mole44 17:17 23 Oct 2007

have you tries uninstalling office then running ccleaner and reinstalling everything again.

VoG II 17:44 23 Oct 2007

Try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility click here then re-install Office.

FreeCell 18:12 23 Oct 2007

With Office 2000 install on Vista there were similarly some updates that would not load. Found a solution was to download the update as Saved file to hard drive and then run from there in XP compatibility mode using mouse right-click on downloaded file.

Edgar508 09:10 24 Oct 2007

I am struggling with same.
VoG, already tried Win Installer Cleanup Util and still get error on re-install (UNKNOWN\.frg\Access.Fragment\ShellNew)

Also tried changing permissions in the Registry for access.fragment but it won't allow me to open the file

more ideas?

[email protected] 09:14 25 Oct 2007

mole44 - thanks for your input but as stated above i cannot uninstall Office as i get the secong registry key error.

VoG - will try now thanks

FreeCell - does not work unfortunatley

Edgar508 - glad im not the only 1 with this problem.

[email protected] 10:18 25 Oct 2007

Tried the installer cleanup, rebooted machine, ran regseeker and i still cannot remove the .frg registry class key!!

So still cannot get past the Office errors!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?