Office 2003 professional!

pac73 02:57 05 Jun 2006

I bought my first pc about 5 months ago with office 2003 already on it.But ive just tried to validate it with microsoft and they said its an illegal copy.Is there anything i can do,or do i just uninstall it?The person i bought it of has since moved to london,so i cant ask him about it.

Taff™ 06:49 05 Jun 2006

Was this a casual purchase, i.e. from an individual rather than a company. If you don`t have a company invoice with Office 2003 specifically listed on it there`s little you can do. It could well be a "cracked copy" and therefore illegal. I would have thought you should have been given the original installation disks or the Certificate of Authenticity when you bought the computer if it were genuine.

If you want to make it legitimate contact Microsoft and ask them what to do. They will offer to send you a full CD and registration key but remember that "IF" you are a student or teacher there is a version of Office 2003 that costs no more than £120.

Another alternative is to uninstall Office and use the free open source OpenOffice click here although it doesn`t have the equivalent of Outlook it does have compatible programs for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access - the latter not available in the Office Student & Teacher edition. OpenOffice will open and save files in Officeformats such as .doc & .xls

€dstowe 07:13 05 Jun 2006

I'd go along with Taff™'s recommendation about OpenOffice.

We are using it more and more, to the exclusion of MS Office.

wee eddie 08:09 05 Jun 2006

Is that he has full software package and put the "master" copy of Office on his own PC & Laptop and validated them.

He then put another copy of Office on the PC he was selling to you. It's a bit tough on you, but it's illegal to do that.

pac73 05:23 06 Jun 2006

I bought it of some guy my dad knows.But if i uninstall it,what about ms security updates for office?

Taff™ 06:16 06 Jun 2006

If you uninstall it why would you need them?

pac73 16:26 06 Jun 2006

Cheers taff,ill uninstall it now.Im going to try open office.

pac73 16:40 06 Jun 2006

Ive just tried to uninstall it but about a quarter of the way through i got an error.Error 1913,set up cannot update file c:\WINDOWS\win ini,verify that it exists on your system.How can i get this file?

ianeon 19:04 06 Jun 2006

Have a look at this site
click here
This may help

wee eddie 21:20 06 Jun 2006

Not a lot of good, I'm afraid.

The reason for the deletion is that he does not have the Program Disks!

I had hoped that you'd solved another problem of mine, but a good try.

pac73 04:06 07 Jun 2006

Ianeon,thanks for trying to help me.Does anyone know how i can get this file?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?