Office 2003 Pro crashes PC replying or sending mai

Balancingbernardi 21:17 29 Jan 2005

Have Win XP Pro SP2 & Office 2003 Pro SP1 running on Abit KG7, Athlon 1400mhz Thunderbird, 1.5GB DDR. In the last couple of weeks it has started crashing if I reply to an email or create a new one. Occasionally crashes surfin' for no apparent reason. Cannot even use Task Manager - have to push reset button. Have done the following:

1. MS Outlook detect & repair - failed to cure
2. Deleted normal.dot as it mostly happens when using MS Word as email editor - Did not fix
3. changed mail formats - tried them all but no fix
4. reinstalled Office 2003 pro & SP1
5. No Virus or spyware present
6. Checked event viewer and only errors I can see are listed 3 at a time: (A) "The General Purpose USB Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified."
(B)"AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance." and (C)"AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

Any advice would be appreciated.

PA28 21:57 29 Jan 2005

Is all else working OK or are there problems with other applications? Have you removed Outlook Express from your system by chance?

Balancingbernardi 22:57 29 Jan 2005

Everything else is it's usual self. The only other problem I am having is it will randomly freeze in the exact same way while surfing on eBay for example. I have set the mail format in Outlook 2003 to HTML for everything, cutting out Word completely and I seem to be able to reply and create new emails without the crashes. May be a Word integration issue or corrupt registry entry. I installed a 3rd 512mb DDR module in a couple of weeks ago, when it was running perfectly so I may remove it and see if it makes any difference. Very strange affair.
I haven't uninstalled Outlook Express either.
Thanks for the reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?