office 2000 to office xp

menorcarob2 16:23 27 Aug 2003

how do i move tha address book in office 2000 to office xp

alcudia 16:38 27 Aug 2003

Export it from the File menu as a Windows.csv file. You need to select all the names first. Then import it into 2002 using the same command. You need to choose another program or file at the first screen.

alcudia 16:49 27 Aug 2003

Sorry, should have mentioned. if you did a "Typical" install of Office XP this feature will probably not be there and you will be asked for the disc. Also the choice of another program or file is for the importing into 2002. To export from 2000 it's the same as XP, Export to a file.

menorcarob2 16:55 27 Aug 2003

sorry i am a little confused

alcudia 17:02 27 Aug 2003

Open the contacts folder in Outlook 2000 and select every name. Click on the first, hold down shift and click on the last. Open the file menu and choose Import/Export. From the box that opens choose export to a file. From the next box choose Comma separated value Windows. Then choose the folder you are exporting from. (It should already be highlighted). Then choose location to save your exported file. Click Finish.
Follow an identical procedure to import into 2002. Only this time import instead of export.

accord 17:06 27 Aug 2003

i think what alcudia is trying to say is....

click on contacts in office 2k, click on file then import and export, click on export to a file, click next and click on comma seperated values CSV, if a box comes up and says this is not installed then place you office 2k disc in drive and click ok,

thats as far as im going on this as i need to install it myself.

over to anyone else who can help.....

alcudia 08:22 28 Aug 2003

Sorry if I sounded a bit confusing yesterday. it was getting near home time and I was a bit pushed. accord has set it out correctly. If you used the default installation of Office XP the feature for importing/exporting is not installed and when you try to use it you will be asked to insert the Office disc. Hope you managed ok.

menorcarob2 08:59 28 Aug 2003

sorry every one i did not mention that the address book is on a different computer,

alcudia 09:45 28 Aug 2003

I had assumed that. It would be unlikely to have both Office 2000 and 2002 on the same machine.
It will probably be a very small file. When you have saved it copy it to a floppy and transfer it to the other machine.

Mallorca 12:58 28 Aug 2003

I am about to make the same move, Outlook 2000 for mail, upgrading to Outlook XP (as part of an Office XP upgrade). I had assumed that at some point I would be asked if I want to migrate my contacts and mail folders to Outlook XP and the migration would be seamless (as it was in moving from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2000).
Something tells me this is not the case ???

alcudia 15:27 28 Aug 2003

I don't know. If you install Office XP to a machine that already has 2000 I think you will be asked if you want to keep your existing installation and install XP separately, or replace it, but as I have never done this I am not sure. If you replace your contacts will probably remain intact. It depends on your faith in Microsoft. I would still export them, just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone