offering to "safely remove hardware" C Drive!!

one mega bite 19:57 04 Jul 2007

I have just reformatted my hard drive with great succes (touch wood) so far. One small concern, when i click the safely remove hardware option it offers me the hard drive.

As i will never want to do that (especially in windows) it seems like a dangerous thing to have available.

Could this be my BIOS settings? Set to a removable device perhaps? I dont even like looking in there so i was hoping for a definitive answer on here!

P.S. You guys have been such a help to me over the last few weeks, i feel like i have gained so much knowledge.

Thanks guys.

Technotiger 20:04 04 Jul 2007

Hi, if you have reformated your hard drive how are you now viewing it? It can't be 'C' cos that is where your OS is.

SANTOS7 20:05 04 Jul 2007

In the Device Manager, right click HDD, properties, select policies tab,make sure that a box isn't checked to "Optimize for quick removal", or something similar.

Technotiger 20:06 04 Jul 2007

Or, is the hard drive you have reformatted an external drive? In which case it could show up as a removable device.

one mega bite 20:44 04 Jul 2007

Technotiger: It is not a removable device and yes my OS is on that drive but i can still see it

Santos: I have tried what you suggested and it is not checked, the box for faster processing is but all boxes and text is greyed out on that screen.

SANTOS7 20:58 04 Jul 2007

click here

This may help...

Technotiger 21:04 04 Jul 2007

Hmm, I guess then that after reformatting your drive you then re-installed your OS? Because a re-formatted drive is surely an 'empty' drive.

Read through this, it might offer something to go on, I have not read it all myself ...

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone