Offcie and Word 2000 problems

Jonah(without the whale) 21:13 06 Mar 2008

Hi folks.
Has anyone a clue as to what I can do here?
I have installed a copy of Office 2000 in which there is Word 2000. All seemed to be OK. However, when word is runnning and a document is being edited, some functions of word are not working correctly.
For instance, when you "save as" a document, word normally picks up the first few characters to use as the name of the document, or you can add a name of your own. My version only picks up the first character only, and even if you wite in al onger set of characters, only the first is used. This means it is necessary to change the name in the explorer after the dcoument has been saved.
And
the font descriptions, and page settings all show only one character, and some of these are alpha hwre they should be numeric.
I have guessed that NORMAL.DOT might be to blame, but have searched and cannot locate it. Or there may be another settings file to blame.
Has any one any ideas please?By the way, I did repair XP hopinh that it might solve the problem when I reinstalled Office, which I have also repaired but no luck.
Thanks
Phil

Jonah(without the whale) 21:25 06 Mar 2008

Hey, thnaks to VoG™ I picked up a tip - someone was having problems and VoG™ provided a link to sort out normal.dot, which included a change to WOINWORED.EXE - and the compatbiity setting - I unset thatm as the details advised, and now all it well.
So thanks VoG™. This is not the first time you've helped, and this time without even trying.
Great.
Cheers

VoG II 21:30 06 Mar 2008

Blimey!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?