OEM Nero CD

alcudia 15:18 28 Nov 2003

Recently bought a new PC for the office with a CD-RW which came with a copy of Nero. Chose not to use this as prefer Roxio.

I have just noticed the on the Nero disc it states that the software will only work with the cd recorder it came bundled with. Just wondered if this was a bluff.

Diodorus Siculus 15:23 28 Nov 2003

No - no bluff! I tried to use a recent OEM version on a machine with a different CD-RW drive and it would not work.

However, I got an OEM copy of version 5 about 2 years ago and it worked on two machines.

Hyperangelic 15:25 28 Nov 2003

If you try to use it with another CD-RW, it will put up a message saying it will only work with <insert CD writer>. I've seen it with my NEC DVD drive.

leo49 15:28 28 Nov 2003

In my experience if the OEM disk has a serial number on the slipcase then it'll work in any machine. No number and it's tied to the CDRW model.

Diodorus Siculus 15:30 28 Nov 2003

leo49 - that seems to be the case: the original one I had from a couple of years ago had a serial number; the current one doesn't.

alcudia 15:33 28 Nov 2003

Thanks folks. Answers my question. No serial number. It's gone in the bin.

Stuartli 17:32 28 Nov 2003

You could have regularly updated it on the ahead website - personally I think Nero is much superior and so does a pal whose swapped from
EasyCD to the ahead product.

alcudia 10:40 29 Nov 2003

You are probably right, but as I have been using EasyCD for quite a long while I think it's best to stick with the sofware you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017