oem

madders 14:21 25 Sep 2004

please excuse my ignorance - i am a girl - what does oem mean when used in software titles?

ta v much

JonnyTub 14:23 25 Sep 2004

origonal equipment manufacturer

JonnyTub 14:23 25 Sep 2004
  madders 14:25 25 Sep 2004

what's the difference? does it only work on certain machines or something - i'm looking at anti-virus software.

VoG II 14:27 25 Sep 2004

You don't need to pay for anti-virus (OEM or not) click here

JonnyTub 14:28 25 Sep 2004

no difference in product, it usually means it doesn't come with all the bells and whistles, amd av product might not get technical support for examplr(not sure) or a particular part of the av package.

leo49 14:28 25 Sep 2004

Additional note: it means you just get installation CD or DVD no fancy box or manual.Same with computer components - It's a lot cheaper to buy this way if you know exactly what you want and what to do with it.

JonnyTub 14:29 25 Sep 2004

as per VoG™ s link, a very good and reguarly updated AV

temp003 14:30 25 Sep 2004

OEM software is supposed to be sold, at a cheaper price, with a new computer, or new substantial hardware (which can be anything really, a new motherboard, even just a hard disk).

Usually the licence agreement will stipulate that the software can only be installed with the new computer, or the computer in which the new substantial hardware is installed (and not on another computer).

In practice, some of this OEM software is available for sale without any accompanying hardware, and is technically in breach of the software provider's licence agreement.

temp003 14:31 25 Sep 2004

I should have added, the software itself is the same as the full version.

madders 14:31 25 Sep 2004

excellent - thanks very much for your help, that's saved me a few quid!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?