OE6 > Windows live mail

Daiol 18:13 25 Jan 2011

Over the next couple of days I intend to convert my XP desktop to windows 7,Been using OE6 for email on the xp machine as you know it wont work on W7.I will be using windows live mail on the new W7,Now can I save my oe6 emails to a folder on the xp desktop and then transfer them over to the W7 live mail?.Will live mail convert all the oe6 emails to hoitmail?,And if yes how would be the best option in doing so?.
Many thanks d.

GaT7 19:21 25 Jan 2011

Your OE emails in XP will be in the following folder by default:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\[long-code]\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If you cannot view it, you'll need to enable 'Show hidden files and folders' in Folder Options (please ask if you need to know how).

Copy the OE folder to a USB flash drive, then from there to a suitable area on your Win7 PC - the C:\ drive is fine.

Open WLM on your Win7 PC & select File > Import > Messages > ....When you're asked to Browse to the suitable OE6 folder, browse to C:\Outlook Express & follow the wizard to completion. G

Daiol 22:05 25 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Followed your instructions to the tee,But when I got to the OE folder 'It was empty'.
Any further info please.
Thanks.d.

GaT7 22:28 25 Jan 2011

Search for *.dbx files on the drive you have XP installed. Then right-click any one & choose Open Containing Folder.

If you cannot find them, you'll need to have these options ticked in the Search Options: click here.

Once you find them Ctrl+A (to highlight all) right-click > Copy. Navigate to your USB flash drive & create a new folder called Outlook Express. Right-click folder > Paste. Once that completes, insert USB drive in Win7 PC & open WLM. The rest is as described above. G

Daiol 08:35 26 Jan 2011

Crossbow7
Good morning,Tried your last,But failed to find anything.The only way that I have done it go to tools maintenance tab then save emails there to a folder in my documents,Now if I move that folder to a pendrive.Will that do the task required?.
Thanks.d

GaT7 11:37 26 Jan 2011

Oh right, so you found your store folder? It was on the C drive wasn't it? If yes, then there was definitely something wrong with your search parameters.

Do the files you saved have .dbx extensions? Should do, but I ask as your PC doesn't appear to follow convention!

If yes, then they will do the rest of the task required. G

Daiol 11:45 26 Jan 2011

Thanks for reply.Regarding dbx extensions?,Not sure what you mean there.In the backuo
ie:
British Gas 572KB DBX File
That what is my backup folder is that correct?.
d.

GaT7 11:55 26 Jan 2011

Yes, all the OE email files you saved will be called British Gas.dbx, Sky.dbx & so on. G

Daiol 12:03 26 Jan 2011

Thankyou very much.d

GaT7 12:07 26 Jan 2011

No problem, let us know how you get on. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?