OE6 niggles

Bald Eagle 15:06 29 Feb 2004

To keep this simple, is it possible to remove and re-install Outlook Express?

My daughter's computer is on 98 SE and if you log onto OE6 there are various minor niggles, I won't say what just yet because I think a removal and restore would solve everything.

Stuartli 15:13 29 Feb 2004

Outlook Express comes as a package with Internet Explorer - it is possible to uninstall it but not easy.

First have you tried a Repair? Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.

Double click on Internet Explorer and you will get a choice of three options. Select Repair.

You may find you get extra shortcut icons and Start>Programs entries. Right click and then Delete them and leave the originals.

Otherwise it's probably best to download the latest version from the Internet Explorer home page at click here

It will only install what is required and you will retain your current settings, configuration etc.

Installing from a cover disk from a magazine usually brings the nuisance of it being an older copy, the magazine branding and need to remove it from the Tool Bar and all the updates issued since the disk was pressed.

Stuartli 15:14 29 Feb 2004

You only need to install a new copy of IE over your current version.

Stuartli 15:16 29 Feb 2004

Are you sure that the problems you have and don't make known are not connected with the basic configuration of OE and IE, as OE uses IE's basic settings as a matter of routine?

3tg 16:13 29 Feb 2004

I "upgraded" to OE6 with Win98 and had problems, I returned to OE5.5 , an option given in the repair part and the problems stopped. I did read somewhere on this forum that 98 is not happy with OE6. Cheers

Bald Eagle 17:31 29 Feb 2004

Will try a download tomorrow when I am at my daughter's again.

I didn't post the niggles because I wanted to write them down accurately but from memory they are :-

History of the problem:- years ago when I had the computer I used Powergen as an ISP. Even though this was all removed it still says Powergen is providing the service but mid screen not on the top banner.

I used a Freeserve disc to get online with "pay as you go" before signing up to Cymru247. The Freeserve logo still "spins" in the top right hand corner even though I've removed dozens of Freeserve files.

When I change from IE6 to OE6 to read emails a window opens saying that a connection already exists with Powergen and I tick the line above this to access via Cymru.

I have been through both "accounts" and "options" and deleted everything that isn't Cymru related but still get this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires