OE removing "unsafe" attachments in mail.

Gugs 22:45 26 Oct 2005

OE removed access to what it considers to be an unsafe incoming Email attachment.
It isn't - it's a licence key to a prog. I purchased.
Is there any way that I can recover the key (short of asking for a rerun which will probably be treated in the same way) or of controlling OE's arbitrary decision in this matter.
(XP home SP2)
Cheers.

Simsy 22:49 26 Oct 2005

Open OE, then from the Tools menu...

Options>Security and UNTICK the box that says "Do not allow attachments to be opened that could potentially be a virus"

If this is ticked it hides ALL attachments, regardless of what they are.

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 23:12 26 Oct 2005

Not necessarily so. Just the odd one I found when I used OE but I soon Disabled it at the time.

Gugs 23:37 26 Oct 2005

Thanks both - easy when you know how.

Simsy 00:15 27 Oct 2005

I stand corrected.

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 11:20 27 Oct 2005

It may well have been your experience..:-)

Far more important is to PERMANENTLY Disable the Preview Pane in Outlook Express - merely clicking on a suspect e-mail can set nasties off on their dastardly trail.

With the PP disabled you can safely check an e-mail by highlighting and then right-clicking on it and using the General tab and Message Source button for information.

If there are any doubts, keep clicking Cancel and then delete the e-mail using the Toolbar's Delete button. Delete it again from the Deleted folder as well if you wish.

Simsy 12:31 27 Oct 2005

that if you have preview pane ON, then you may see some attachments?

I do have my preview pane off. Is that why you say that ALL attachments hidden may have been my experience?

(Sorry to hijack thread Gugs!)

I don't have a problem... just always willing to learn!!

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 12:52 27 Oct 2005

No, I'm saying that an e-mail containing an attachment with a virus which is merely clicked with the Preview Pane enabled can/could allow the virus to immediately do its dirty work.

Permanently disabling the PP prevents this possibility.

Stuartli 12:53 27 Oct 2005

It's not been a problem as far as I'm concerned for several months now.

I switched to Mozilla's Thunderbird...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?