OE missing on a Win 95 pc

palinka 18:17 24 Jul 2007

A very elderly friend has a pc running Win 95 which seems to have been built around 1999. It has hardly ever been used and not at all in the last 5 years, but we dug it out and it runs OK. In recent years he has used a laptop (now defunct, but he's never got on with it) on which he still has a Tiscali dial-up account. I want to put that same account onto the '95, but I ran into problems:
1. when I put a Tiscali disk in I got an error message: "the DIALLER.EXE file is linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL:SHGetSpecialFolderPathA".
2. Also, I couldn't find OE – the only thing in the C drive appears to be the address book of OE; and the "shortcut to OE" on the desktop actually goes to the Address Book.
I found an icon for _isetup but that gives an error message - "msimn.exe has been changed or moved. Do you want the shortcut to point to.........Outlook Express\wab.exe ?"
Needless to say he has no disks of any kind.
IE is present, but of course not usable without the ISP.
Later I wondered if I could have set up the tiscali account by using the existing account [email protected] and typing in the tel no that the dial-up uses on the laptop.
Where do I go from here? Does OE need re-installing, and if so, with what disks?

lotvic 18:35 24 Jul 2007

this should help click here
partial quote from page:""If you are realy stating from scratch and you wants to install and configure Windows 95 for #PPP connections and #Install Modems and #Optimise Modem connections from scratch there are instructions on my web pages in the #Howto technical articles pages.""
(note: # = a link on the webpage)

lotvic 18:37 24 Jul 2007

see also click here which gives an up to date list of server names & phone numbers to connect

palinka 20:01 24 Jul 2007

thanks very much, lotvic.
Can anyone help with the 2nd problem:how to get OE back, complete, given that there are no disks ?
It did exist once, because i'd seen it on the pc years ago ago, with some emails in the Inbox. Someone has obviously messed about since, otherwise there wouldn't be a desktop icon called OE but directed only to the address book.

woodchip 20:09 24 Jul 2007

If you have the Dial-Up number and Password you do not need a disc. Double click my computer networking then double click on the Add file in the boxes the first name is only one to recognize the connection after that you have to use Password User and Phone number. OE can be setup after Manual just the same. You do not need to load software. If OE as not been installed, Controll Panel\Add Remove\ Windows Setup

woodchip 20:11 24 Jul 2007

For OE try removing the tick then restart computer go back and put the tick in the box It may work. But OE is on the 95 CD

VoG II 20:11 24 Jul 2007

Try Internet Explorer 3.02 click here - this should include OE.

Alternatively try changing the target of the OE icon to

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe

woodchip 20:27 24 Jul 2007

Yep as Vog's link I think that was the version for 95. When you run it choose custome setup or it may not run. With It being already on the drive

palinka 21:04 24 Jul 2007

thank you everyone.
I'll get to work as soon as I have a spare moment.

wjrt 21:26 24 Jul 2007

have a win 95 os cd its oem and no installation codes if you want will send to you if you e-mail details

palinka 08:55 25 Jul 2007

thanks for that offer, wjrt, I appreciate that.
First I'll try the methods already suggested and contact you after that. (likely to be a week or so as i'm busy on other things at the moment)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?