OE and Messenger

Jai 20:49 11 May 2010

Running OE6 & XP SP2 - when I am using OE, messenger automatically starts up in my task bar. I don't want this. Even worse when somebody signs on, messenger starts up & opens up my kids address book. It really is a pain as I have to wait. Have checked options in both OE and messenger but it still loads in task bar.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 11 May 2010

Windows Messenger Service / Shoot the Messenger click here

birdface 08:09 12 May 2010

Messenger.Tools.Options.Sign in and make sure the top 4 boxes are unticked.Apply Ok.

See if that helps.

Jai 10:34 13 May 2010

Tried this tip. I used the following tabs - Tools;Options;Prefernces;General;
& unticked top 4 boxes but still no luck.
Any other options anybody? (Fruit Bat is still on my list).

Jai 14:13 16 May 2010

Bump (for the weekenders!!)

birdface 14:51 17 May 2010

Ok if still using Xp there will be an old version of Windows Messenger on it.
I think I managed to remove it from Windows Explorer.it is version 4.5 something like that.
As I am not sure how I removed it, maybe someone else can help.
Or maybe try a search for messenger and see what versions it pops up with.

birdface 15:01 17 May 2010

Found this but not sure if it is what you need.

click here

I said 4.5 version but looks like it would be 4.7 version.
Like I said maybe wait until someone can confirm.

birdface 15:06 17 May 2010

Just read your post again and I have got a feeling you can actually get it to stop running while in Outlook express.
I do not have Outlook express anymore but you have to look on the toolbar in O/Express and there should be something you tick to stop messenger from running.
Sorry I cannot be more helpful but it has been a while since I used it.

Jai 12:28 20 May 2010

Thanks Buteman - I have been away for a few days, but indeed I do have 4.7. I have a dilemma now - get rid of it and feel the wrath of my kids or leave it & suffer!!!

birdface 14:02 20 May 2010

You could download Windows Messenger use that and remove the old version or stop it running at start up in outlook Express.

click here

That is the latest Windows Messenger it gives you the opportunity of downloading different programs with it.
Just download the ones that you need and leave the rest.
It should update with all of your contacts still intact but it has been a while since I did it and I am not 100% sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?