oddity post reinstall

oldbeefer2 14:19 29 Apr 2009

After a very succesful reinstall of XP Home, all is well except - after booting up, a symbol appears bottom right which shows Mass Storage device. Clicking on it gives me the usual opportuniy to stop it and then safe to remove appears. Only thing is, I dont have anything plugged in! Any ideas please (not critical - just annoying).

Graphicool1 14:32 29 Apr 2009

I have it there all the time, but hidden and in my case I know it's because I have a memory stick plugged in constantly.

There was a thread some little time back and the guy had the same problem. I'll see if I can find it and if it helps you I'll report back.

In the meantime I can tell you how to hide it, out of sight, out of mind.
Right click the 'Task Bar'
click 'Properties'
At the bottom of pop-up click 'Customize'
Scroll down till you see the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon.
Click where it say's 'Hide when inactive'
Click the down arrow next to it
Click 'Always Hide'
click 'OK' 'Apply' 'OK'

Graphicool1 14:37 29 Apr 2009

Check this out...
click here

oldbeefer2 14:41 29 Apr 2009

Thanks Graphicool1, but I don't have a card reader. This symbol only used to show when a dongle was plugged, so no idea why it's there permanently now.

gazzaho 01:54 30 Apr 2009

Just a thought, does your printer have a card reader? A lot of printers and multifunction devices come with card readers now days. This will show up in explorer as a Removable Disk, the one in my Canon MP610 shows up that way and is listed in Device Manager under Disk Drives as a USB device.

oldbeefer2 12:28 30 Apr 2009

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check when I get home (it's a new printer that I haven't really got to grips with yet) - does sound possible though.

oldbeefer2 12:34 30 Apr 2009

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check when I get home (it's a new printer that I haven't really got to grips with yet) - does sound possible though.

oldbeefer2 13:22 30 Apr 2009

Checked on-line - the model I have has no card reader - back to square one!

Sea Urchin 16:38 30 Apr 2009

If you double click the icon in the system tray the window that opens has a tick box at the bottom left-hand corner to "Display Device Components". This will expand the listing of Mass Storage Device, and hopefully tell you what it is.

oldbeefer2 18:03 30 Apr 2009

Thanks Sea Urchin - I'll have a try when I get home.

Graphicool1 18:08 30 Apr 2009

It could be your wireless USB Adapter. It shows for mine. If you have or even a USB modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017