odd warning from text translation program-any free translators out there with no limits?

theDarkness 13:48 23 Jun 2011

I downloaded a free text/subtitle (srt) translation program (free srt translator from softpedia), and a message eventually popped up on screen to tell me that I was in breach of its rules-with my IP and computer owner name displayed on screen. This seemed very suspicious, especially when a further message appeared to suggest that I 'start to donate'. I eventually found out that the program was not a real translator at all, it simply linked to an internet translation service (I think it was google or yahoo babelfish). It seems likely that one of those services may have a strict rule on how much text can be translated at once. I have now removed the program and scanned my computer, no problems have been found, but I am wondering in general if I am likely to find a good simple text translator that will ignore any symbols and numbers contained within my files, and not remove them, so I can finally change to srt? I have been testing different languages, and have noticed that within srt subtitle files, certain languages (eg greek) are often not displayed properly when viewed using notepad, yet display fine when added to any player?

Woolwell 14:32 23 Jun 2011

Will Google Translate be sufficient link text You can paste the text in for a translation.

Nontek 15:08 23 Jun 2011

link text I use Easy Translater 4, at the top of this list, it is very good indeed - when translating a passage, just Copy/Paste to the program.

theDarkness 15:12 23 Jun 2011

I think the program I used was just linking to google, its a good translator in itself but some symbols are changed through translation (the double dash, eg "--" is changed to "-" which can make srt subtitles not work. There may be an easy way to correct this aside from having to heavily edit, but Im not sure what I could use to do so. There are a few no word limit translators such as babelxl http://babelxl.com/ but it also has the same issue as above with the dash, others may remove symbols in a similar manner or give the output in its own format. I got around my 'characters in some languages not displaying properly' issue (in order to copy and paste into an online editor) by downloading a free program called Aegisub http://www.aegisub.org/ It doesnt translate in itself, but allows me to view the document in its proper form without changing anything, so I can then paste the result into an online editor. Thanks :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?