Odd problems with internet access

DIYgirl 13:34 02 Apr 2006

I'm running Win XP on a newish computer, and I've got problems running both IE and OE.

Both seem to drop the internet connection for no apparent reason (I'm on dial-up).

On IE pages are often inexplicably unavailable, and when I click on links quite often nothing happens. If I re-click a few times, eventually the page will open.

In OE, I'm often asked for my account name and password, which is then refused. If I close down OE and reopen it a few minutes later it usually works. It sometimes takes ages for this program to open (I've got 2GB of memory so it should be very quick!); soemtimes the dial-up connection box opens as soon as OE is opened, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it takes minutes to appear. Sometimes the icon showing new mail appears in the taskbar, sometimes it doesn't.

I've not noticed problems in other programs.

I run Avast AV, Zone Alarm, Spybot S&D, Adaware. I've updated them all, Windows too, and run all the programs to find if there are any problems. There was a worm found: "Win32: Klez-H [Wrm]." But that's been dealt with now, thanks to help I found on this forum.

Any ideas on what to do?

john-232317 13:39 02 Apr 2006

Try a repair click here you will need your winXP disc though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?