Odd problems after network card & router install

Halfbeat 19:36 03 Dec 2003

We have recently connected 2 computers via a broadband router. I installed a Realtek network card on the computer running Windows ME. The other has XP and already had a network card installed. Everything seemed OK but the ME computer occasionally has problems at startup-Zonealarm or the virus checker not loading up correctly or other odd such foibles. On checking I find the network card seems to have installed twice on two IRQs and twice in network settings etc. and I know there's only one of it. Conflicts/sharing does not flag any problems however. Would deleting/uninstalling one of them settle things down assuming this is the problem in the first place. One other point, it didn't ask for any drivers when installed (I have them on floppy). Any clues would be gratefully received-thanks.

Ivor_Monkey 20:33 03 Dec 2003

I wonder whether zonealarms is involved. Just a thought, but see what happens when you disable zonealarm. Uninstalling ZA can be a problem, but can be done.

PS I use sygate.

A_World_Maker 20:52 03 Dec 2003

The free edition of Zonealarm doesnt support networks... upgrade to ZoneAlarm Pro

Halfbeat 18:56 04 Dec 2003

Thanks for getting back so quickly. So, Zonealarm gets fingered as the bad guy. I'll try disabling it and re-starting a few times to check if all is OK and get back to you.
Cheers.

A_World_Maker 20:53 04 Dec 2003

Zonealarm isnt the bad guy, just that you may be using the incorrect version.

Halfbeat 11:31 24 Dec 2003

Sorry I haven’t got back on this sooner-things a bit hectic at work as Christmas approached.
Anyway-I disabled Zonealarm at startup (starting it manually after everything else had loaded up) but this did not solve the problem so that tends to suggest that Zonealarm wasn’t the problem. Anyway I thought the only problem was that it prevented one computer from seeing t’other- or is there something else?
As I mentioned, the software for the Ethernet card insists on installing itself twice (presumably it is finding this from somewhere within Windows ME itself as it never asks for a driver disc), so that it shows up twice everywhere. I have disabled one of these in hardware profiles and so far all seems well, but as it is an intermittent problem I can’t be sure yet only time will tell. If not, I’ll have to pick your collective brains again.
Thanks for you help and have a very merry christmas.

Rogerfredo 16:25 24 Dec 2003

I have a network using a broadband router, a "server" running ME, and two other PCs, one running ME and the other XP.
All have Zonealarm.
Everything works ok.

Halfbeat 20:03 09 Jan 2004

I seem to have solved the problem now by downloading a new driver for the network card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie