Odd noises

TOMKATE 13:52 25 Apr 2003

Hi
I can hear odd whirring noises from inside my PC.
Beind an OAP who is not too well up on PCs could I ask for some help please? I do not wish to lose all my information collected over the last 4 years. Can I down load to a device, have my HD replaced and then reload?
Thanks Tom

PA28 14:00 25 Apr 2003

Hi Tom. Ths may be no more than a fan running dry, but you're right to be concerned as, depending on the age of your machine, a hard drive failure could be on the cards. Any other symptoms - like error messages, system crashes, etc? 4 years is not that old for a computer (although it's a lifetime in the development of the technology), so you may be OK - see below.

First step is to protect your existing data - do you have a CD-R that you can write your files to? Programs don't matter as you have the original installation disks to reinstall from should the worst happen.

Having protected your data, might I (respectfully) suggest that you have a word with a local computer shop or group - they can diagnose for you and replace any defective components and reinstall from your old drive if necessary.

Andsome 16:44 25 Apr 2003

If you really do need a new hard drive, and are happy that the computer is running OK, then your local shop or a friend could ghost everything onto a new hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?