odd network problem

User-1269394 20:06 30 May 2008

Hi
I have a home wireless network which was running fine until I had to get my PC repaired few months ago. As part of that repair it was factory restored by the guys in the shop. Since then, I cannot change the name of my computer on the network.
My computer name in system information on windows is 'desktop'. When I try to run the network setup wizard (xp), it defaults the computer name to some odd number - '(044850320068)'. If I change the name and restart the computer it changes it back to that number! The rest of the network sees this as a different computer from 'desktop' and so I can't use printer connected to my desktop, or access files on it.
What is going on??????

ambra4 20:18 30 May 2008

To change the computer name right click on My Computer on desktop-properties-click

Computer Name Tab- click Change

User-1269394 14:10 31 May 2008

That's not the problem! My computer name is desktop as far as the system is concerned. It's only the network setup wizard which won't let me change it - it keeps defaulting my computer's name on the network to that funny number. No matter where and how I change the computer name, it still comes up on the network as that number.

brundle 16:41 31 May 2008

Remove Client For Microsoft Networks and File & Printer Sharing in Local Area Connection, reboot, run the Network Setup Wizard again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone