Odd file identified by Defender

Pine Man 18:31 17 Feb 2006

Using Windows XP with SP2.

Having just updated to Windows Defender, and changed nothing else, a 'problem file' has been identified that never appeared before when using Microsoft AntiSpyware.

The file is winio.sys, which is in the windows directory and Defender reports it as 'This program has potentially unwanted behaviour'.

Anybody any ideas about what it is or what to do with it?

johnnyrocker 18:35 17 Feb 2006

click here=

johnny.

Pine Man 18:43 17 Feb 2006

Checked the Google link but that came up as a site inviting me to download winio.sys.

I've already got it thanks but what the hell is it and do I need it?

VoG II 18:44 17 Feb 2006

I don't have it on my Windows XP SP2 so I don't think you need it. Is there an option to quarantine it?

Pine Man 18:49 17 Feb 2006

Doesn't appear to be a way of either allowing it or quarantining it even though their are two options within Tools to view Quarantined or Allowed files but no apparant way of maintaining the lists.

Its all a bit new at the moment and maybe will become more user friendly as it is developed further - or not!

Pine Man 18:52 17 Feb 2006

If it helps their is a file next to winio.sys called winio.dll?

VoG II 18:55 17 Feb 2006
  Pine Man 18:55 17 Feb 2006

The dll file belongs to click here and it states the following on its site -
'This library allows direct I/O port and physical memory access under Windows 9x/NT/2000 and XP. Version 2.0 provides faster I/O port access, better memory mapping support and can be used from non-administrative accounts under Windows NT/2000 and XP'.

What on earth does that mean????

Pine Man 10:11 18 Feb 2006

I'll just leave it alone and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017