Odd clicking noise from something

bumpkin 11:48 28 Oct 2014
Answered

I am a bit puzzled by this one. My old Sony Vaio desktop with dual boot Win7 and XP on separate HDDs. The Win 7 option works fine but if I boot with XP then that works fine until I put a CD in either of the 2 CD drives. A distinct click every few seconds with the sound of someting trying to spin up and I cant access either drive. First thought was the CD drives but both of them? To me it sounds like the HDD but I can't see why wnen it is OK otherwise. Anyone encountered anything similar or got any suggestions please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:12 28 Oct 2014

uninstall the cd drives in device management reboot into xp and let it reinstall the cd drives, retry the disks.

spuds 12:13 28 Oct 2014

When you start getting clicking noises, it usually means a fan or hard-drive complaining. Fans are usually easy to change and are cheap from the likes of eBay or Amazon.

I normally keep a few in stock and get them from this company, with usually a 1/2 day delivery. click here

bumpkin 14:17 28 Oct 2014

Ever wish you had never started something. The problem seemed to be the PSU fan so I thought I would take it off and clean the heatsink that was looking fairly clogged up, off came the fan, heatsink and processor in one go. Cleaned it up but on trying to replace it bent the pins on the processor. Any hope or is that end of story for it.

bumpkin 14:42 28 Oct 2014

Jock1e, maybe you clicker de wrong thread:-)

alanrwood 15:32 28 Oct 2014

Bumpkin

You have nothing to lose by bending them back into shape. To prevent static damage push the pins through some cooking foil first and make sure you ground the foil and yourself before trying.

robintheumpteenth 15:45 28 Oct 2014
  bumpkin 17:11 28 Oct 2014

Alan, as you say nothing to lose so I will give it a go.

Robin, your link was most helpful especially the videos.

Looks like a tricky operation, my original inspection with a mag glass showed 2 bent pins on the perifery which I managed to straighten with a finger nail. Using a mircoscope and bright light shows only 2 others inboard. I shall try it and be a little more careful in future. Thanks to both.

bumpkin 12:34 29 Oct 2014

I have straightened the pins refitted it, removed to check no more bent pins and it was OK so put it back in. Now the PC starts up, fans run and sounds right but monitor goes to power saving mode before anything displayed so I assume no signal. Tried a spare to check and same result. Don't really want to scrap it so has anyone any further suggestions please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 29 Oct 2014

So what else have you disturbed taking the cpu out?

check power cable to cpu plug in at motherboard (4 pin)

remove refit graphic card and check cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:54 29 Oct 2014

So what else have you disturbed taking the cpu out?

check power cable to cpu plug in at motherboard (4 pin)

remove refit graphic card and check cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?