Odd behaviour connecting to net

Chris69 14:10 22 Aug 2007

Folks

Can anyone suggest what may be behind this ?

This morning I've had (for the first time) a number of odd problems connecting with the net, that all seem unrelated but given they've all started at about the same time, I just wonder whether there is a common cause :

1. When sending e-mails via Outlook, some will send OK (mainly smaller ones) but others hang part way and won't send

2. When I try to log on to my Google account, most of the page loads fine - but with no Log In box appearing. When I open the Firefox error console it says "Expected ':' but found '='. Declaration dropped https:// ..."

3. When I try to uplaod to a number of websites that I use regularly, the upload won't go (e.g. uploading revised content to an advert, or revised availability to another advert)

4. When I test my Alice/Tiscali ADSL connection, the ISP says their network is operating normally, but instead of my usual 12MB speed I test at only 1MB

I've tried all the above with Firefox & IE7; with/without firewall; restoring system to first thing this morning; restarting computer; restarting modem - all to no avail.

I'm currently running a full system virus scan, but in meantime - any suggestions ?

Now to see if this message will upload - if you're reading this it has !!

Thanks for any ideas

Chris

Technotiger 14:26 22 Aug 2007

Well you were right to run the virus scan, probably first thing any of us here would have advised. You should also run Ad-Aware and any other anti-Malware programs you might have.

After all that it would also be a good idea to run CCleaner click here

Cheers.

Chris69 20:11 22 Aug 2007

Thanks but I've now run full system scan with Norton Antirus, plus scans with AdAware and Spybot and have run Norton Express Clean to get rid of unwanted clutter.

Problems stil the same tho'

Any suggestions gratefully received !

Chris

Technotiger 20:56 22 Aug 2007

Hmm, I wonder if your hard drive or some other component is on its way out? Can't think what else would cause all those symptons.

laurieballard 21:27 22 Aug 2007

If you are only getting 1mb insted of normal 12mb. i would get in touch with your ISP.

Maybe try and reset your router?

Do a speed test here.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?