ODBC puzzle?

geedad 20:25 25 Jan 2008

A folder has appeared on my PC, called "ODBC Data Source Administrator" and at the top of the dialog box it shows 7 different places to click for various 'options'.
The first shows'User Data Sources', and 3 items are shown, Games, MS Access Datatbase and Queries, all followed by ............MS Access drivers.
I use MS Access within MS Office Pro 97, but I have never seen this folder appear on my PC before.
Should I just ignore it, or should I delete the folder?
geedad

geedad 13:24 30 Jan 2008

Anyone for "ODBC puzzle?"
geedad

xania 14:10 30 Jan 2008

I came across ODBC (Open Database Communication) when I was accessing a common database across a secure network, where you need to set up individuals permissions to access specific views of the total database. However,

click here

geedad 22:30 30 Jan 2008

xania
Thanks for your response. I will study the link to see if it can throw any light on my query.
It is still difficult to understand why the folder appeared. I have been using MS Access for years with no problems. I suppose I could copy it to a CD, then delete it on drive C, then see if all continues to work OK!
geedad

xania 10:38 31 Jan 2008

Why don't you just add 1 character to the folder name and see what happens.

geedad 19:49 02 Feb 2008

xania
I am going to leave well alone!
I did a 'search' of ODBC, and the screen became full of further ODBC gobblededooks!
All my apps. are working OK, and the folder doesn't seem to cause any trouble.
It looks like an "ODBC degree" is necessary to understand what it all means!
Thank you, and all forum members for your responses.
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?