OCR Software??

SDJ 22:08 21 Aug 2009

I am trying to find a more efficient way of keying in supplier invoices into Quickbooks.
I have a third party app that allows me to load a daily file of revenue but I have been unable to convince our largest suppliers that they should be providing me a file instead of pdf invoices.

Is there any software out there that will take the pdf file and drop the key elements of the invoice into a spreadsheet for me to upload into my accounting software?

Thanks in advance

Stuartli 00:06 22 Aug 2009

It's not OCR software you require if I'm correct.

accordion 06:36 22 Aug 2009

Now why would you want to do all that when entering a supplier bill into QuickBooks is so easy?

I think it is highly unlikely that you will find any software to read a PDF and export particular data into a spreadsheet. For a start, each PDF is going to be laid out differently.

Dave

Sbrads 19:08 22 Aug 2009

Abbyy Fine Reader 9.0 says it can do this in its help files. As I haven't used pdf>Excel before, I conducted a quick test with a Yokohama tyre size table and it did quite a good job in putting all the table data into a spreadsheet.

accordion 08:29 23 Aug 2009

While any decent OCR program will be able to read data in a table, and save it to Word or Excel, none of them are going to be able to interpret what the data means and place it in a particular cell of a spreadsheet.

In order for QuickBooks to import data from a spreadsheet, all data has to be in the right place. There's no OCR program that can do that for you, especially as the source PDF files will differ when reading varying styles of invoices from supliers.

Dave

SDJ 14:50 24 Aug 2009

Thanks guys for your comments.....
I had a feeling this was going to be a long shot!
I had originally reached out to my vendors to ask them to send me a report as apposed to the physical invoices but it was a no go.... its frustrating as we accomodate many of our customers with custom invoicing methods.... its all data so cant understand why it is (sending a report)so difficult.

We are a small company ($15M) and until recently I had an assistant who entered these for me... now its just little old me and I am getting a little bogged down with over 150 supplier invoices a day, not to mention managing everything else financial.

Oh well, it is what it is...

Thanks all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?