Occasionally Dim Screen - nightmare to test!

danielgent 13:08 28 Oct 2009

Got a Toshiba Satellite Pro 1110 here where occasionally the screen goes very dim. The guy who owns it says it keeps happening at odd times, I had to keep turning it on and off over the course of 2 days to get the screen to go dim!
I disassembled the laptop and screen, checked all the connections from the mobo to the inverter and etc (took the inverter out and reconnected it).
The laptops now on with the screen looking fine so I'm just gonna leave it on indefinitely until it goes dim again (assuming my reconnecting hasn't fixed it).

Does it sound like an inverter problem or is intermittent failure a sign of something different?

The prices of replacement inverters vary quite significantly off ebay
click here
£39
click here
£16
click here
£25

but i only want to get one if I'm sure this is what it is! I just want to make sure its not the backlight. I could always plug a similar LCD screen in off another laptop and see if the same dimming happens.

What does everyone think? should I just spend the £20+ and get a new inverter?

Much thanks for your time,
Dan Gent

mgmcc 13:27 28 Oct 2009

Laptops are often configured so that the screen is dimmer when running on battery than when using the power lead. Is it possible that a faulty connection with the power lead is causing the screen setting to change as it switches on to battery power?

danielgent 13:48 28 Oct 2009

Sorry I should've explained more. When I say dim i mean to the point where it looks like its turned off and you have to put your face right up to it!
I'll try plugging and unplugging it while the battteries in though. See if I can get it to go dim again!

Thanks mgmcc for the advice anyways, much appreciated

T0SH 16:14 28 Oct 2009

Purchasing a complete working topside for that model laptop from ebay is the simplest route to take no more than one hour assembly including testing

be sure the seller takes returns and pay for it using pay pal as a double insurance

The type of fault you describe could be either a faulty LCD panel backlight ,the connection cable ,or the inverter you could spend a lot of money and time to fix the issue by buying separate parts

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires