Occasional shutdown and pc freezes!!

betina 10:21 08 Oct 2006

Would love some idiot proof advise guys regarding some shut down and freezing probs am having with my pc. I have just read pc advisor November issue(136)and have a similar problem as stated on the helpline page. I clicked on Control Panel,Internet Options,General,Settings,View objects and discovered i have 2 unknown files and 1 damaged Active X. I right clicked on the damaged! to highlight properties and it states codebase c:\ProgramFiles\yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll. my problem now is that i am afraid to delete this for want of causing more problems and if this is the right approach what would be my next move?? please to excuse a wee newbees inexperience but your help is invaluable and i,ve learned more on this forum in the 2 days since i joined than i,ve learned in the last few month,s . so keep up the good work guy,s us newbees need you!!!

rsinbad 10:57 08 Oct 2006

think you will find these are temp interenet files
suggest you download ccleaner and delete all it finds. this program will clear your unnecessary crap files. click here

betina 11:34 08 Oct 2006

Many thanks for sound advise rsinbad will click on link and hopefully all will be well!!

Have a nice one
betina

VoG II 11:38 08 Oct 2006

To fix the problem with yinsthelper.dll right click it and select Update.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and remove Yahoo Messenger. You can re-install it from click here;_ylt=Aok24PfNPyeolkK04sMP5W0M5skF

VoG II 11:39 08 Oct 2006

Drat! click here

STREETWORK 22:23 08 Oct 2006

Not just me then eh VoG, lol...

betina 09:42 09 Oct 2006

Followed advise and right clicked nothing much seemed to have happened, so i continued to add/remove etc., but only states BT home hub and Bt Applications but now i know that the damaged file has to do with yahoo messenger i can contact Bt for technical advise as i don,t want to dabble in things out of my league lol,however that,s something else new i,ve learned today!! how to check for damaged Active x files.All good stuff many thanks for you help keep up the good work guys!!
Betina

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache