Occasional 'No signal input' on screen

Barnacarry 15:02 25 Sep 2009

When I boot up, I sometimes get to the welcome screen, and sometimes not even that far, and then the screen goes blank, unlit, and a 'No signal input' message comes up and the screen then turns itself off. If I then reboot, it seems to work ok. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 25 Sep 2009

Age of PC?

Could be PSU starting to fail

Stuartli 15:24 25 Sep 2009

Also check that the monitor lead is firmly attached at both ends (pulling out and reinserting will help to clean the contacts).

bjh 15:31 25 Sep 2009

... or the signal input to the monitor is failing, and the monitor detects this. In which case, it could still be the PSU, as above, but also the graphics card or, let's hope, the monitor cable.

Is it tightly affixed to monitor and card, and is it free from kinks and twists? I'd suggest NOT wiggling it to see if it is loose while powered up - it might clearly indicate it was by causing more of a problem.

Can you tell if Windows has continued to load even after the monitor fails? I.E. if you were to set sounds to play on startup being completed, do they play, or does the whole machine cease when the monitor goes black?

Barnacarry 15:34 25 Sep 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Only 9 months old.

Stuartli - double checked.

I hope I'm not answering my own question but I haven't opened it and hoovered inside for 9 months.

Barnacarry 15:38 25 Sep 2009

bjh - Good point. As it only happens occasionally, and I usually have the speakers turned off, I don't know. The fans continue to work so I assumed it was still loading.

bjh 16:44 25 Sep 2009

Warranty? If only 9 months old....

If you drop an mp3 or wav file in the ...start... all programs...startup folder, it'll play if windows makes it all the way, with no user interaction on your part!

Stuartli 17:44 25 Sep 2009

Not if it's a Richard Clayderman track it won't..:-)

woodchip 18:32 25 Sep 2009

As above either the PSU is on its way out or the CPU is shutting its self down ass a result of overheating

Barnacarry 17:15 26 Sep 2009

I have now checked all connections within and without the base unit and hoovered every nook and cranny, there was a fair bit of fluff in there. Now it's a question of waiting, as I said, it only happens occasionally, and I have put the speakers on. Thanks for all your help and I'll keep an eye on the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?