Occasional laughing or bell sounds

curly 17:02 13 Nov 2006

About every two days, whilst connected to the net, I experience a laughing or bell sound. I am an AOL broadband user. I have used anti spyware software, since connecting to the net (spy bot, ad aware, Windows Defender) and AVG anti virus software.
I should be grateful for suggestions on how to get rid of these noises.

Jak_1 17:06 13 Nov 2006

Does it happen when visiting a particular web page? If so then it could be smileys, some sites do this.

curly 17:07 13 Nov 2006

I am not aware that it only happens on a particular web page.

skidzy 17:10 13 Nov 2006

Are you using an email client such as Incredimail ?

It may well be a setting/notification letting you know that an email has been received...must admit its a shot in the dark though !

Jak_1 17:10 13 Nov 2006

Do you have a popup stoppert running, as the same thing happens with popups advertising smiley's. I have had this happen.
Also Photobucket picture hosting site used to have this phenomenan, may still as I have not used it in a while.

feb 18:23 13 Nov 2006

Hi curly

It sounds like it might be to do with your Buddy panel. When a Buddy logs on or off they will have a particular sound!

curly 09:15 14 Nov 2006

Thanks everyone. I think the Buddy list is the most likely culprit.

FatboySlim71 09:50 14 Nov 2006

Yeah I think your right about the Buddy sounds, I have AOL broadband and I have a Buddy and when he logs on or off I get this laughing sound, its more like a baby laughing to be honest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone