Occasional jerky graphics

Marvin Grunt 16:39 07 Mar 2004

I run Windows 98SE on a 350MHz AMD K6 (3D now) processor, with 256Mb RAM, and a GeForce 2 Ti (64 Mb) video card, and DirectX 8. When running games like Worms2, Ricochet or Pinball, everything usually runs smoothly. But sometimes, it all gets a bit hesitant and jerky. Restarting the computer usually solves the problem. What's going wrong, and can I cure it permanently without suffering a severe pain in the wallet?

Gongoozler 17:19 07 Mar 2004

Hi Marvin Grunt. This sounds like something is hogging the memory. Some software is bad for this, and Windows 98 isn't very good at handling it. When you restart the computer it clears the memory and so everything starts afresh. The problem may not actually be caused by Worms2, Ricochet or Pinball, it may be another task running in the background. Click on Start - Run, then type in the box "msconfig" (without the inverted commas), select the Startup tab and note how many of the programs are ticked. The only ones necessary for Windows to work are ScanRegistry, TaskMonitor, SystemTray and LoadPowerProfile (probably twice). There will also probably be an entry for your graphics card. You can untick any of the others to see if it is causing the problem, and put the tick back later if it isn't.

Zaphod 3 17:33 07 Mar 2004

Is there an option in your game tools for Open GL or Direct X my stepson installed a couple of game s and had a similar problem. Obviously you would need to select DirectX.

Zaphod 3 17:34 07 Mar 2004

Is there an option in your game tools for Open GL or Direct X my stepson installed a couple of game s and had a similar problem. Obviously you would need to select DirectX.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017